Reception Phonics – The Reception Reading Guide takes parents through how children are taught to read in school using the synthetic phonics approach. The guide and pack resources are both aligned to the EYFS reading curriculum and also to Phases 2-4 of the DfES ‘Letters and Sounds’ phonics programme.
Use the parent guide in conjunction with the fun hands-on resources to help your child learn to read. Reinforce the 40+ sounds children learn in school using the parent flashcards. Make words at home with your child using the magnetic grapheme tiles, magnetic wipeboard and soft foam sound cubes. The teaching order of the sounds, words to make by phase order, and sentences to practice reading are all contained within the guide. Also use the colour coded high frequency word cards to reinforce the words your child needs to learn in Reception. Even if your child’s school uses another commercially bought phonics programme, the home activities of learning the sounds, blending sounds and learning high frequency words remain relevant – HSC packs complement phonics teaching in school, regardless of the particular scheme being used.
To accompany the guide and pack, be sure to download HSC’s Home Learning Diary and a Reward Sticker Chart for your child. These are free to download upon purchase of a pack. Parents can also access the online videos to watch families using HSC packs to support and extend their child’s reading.
Useful parent know-how contained within the guide includes:
- The curriculum – what your child needs to know and be able to do
- Top parent-child interaction and teaching tips (including the power of using positive and specific feedback while teaching children at home)
- Exactly how to teach/reinforce phonics at home in a fun multi-sensory way – All five key home reading activities are explained step by step (the guide activities are cross referenced to the home videos)
- Getting the most out of reading picture books aloud to your children and developing their comprehension abilities
- How to help your child read aloud.
- Monitoring your child’s home reading progress, motivating your child to learn and rewarding their efforts.
A single sheet ‘Quick Read Summary’ accompanies the guide, so that those families who want to get started straight away, can do so!
A great complement to this pack is the ‘Reception Reading Games Pack‘. Children love to learn through play and the board games are an excellent way to involve the whole family while helping children consolidate what they are being taught in school.
Pack Contents: Parent Activity Guide; Magnetic Wipe-Board; Wipe Pen and Wipe Pen Eraser; Phase 2 & 3 Sound Flashcards; Phase 2 Soft Foam Sound Cubes; Phase 3 Soft Foam Sound Cubes; Phase 2, 3 & 4 High Frequency Words.