Nursery Reading – This pack helps parents to prepare their child to read at home. The pack is both aligned to the EYFS reading curriculum and also Phase 1 of Letters and Sounds (DfES produced phonics programme for schools). Children are engaged in learning through use of fun sound awareness games, instruments, puzzles, rhymes, alliteration & alphabet activities, including using a write ‘n’ wipe alphabet frame and alphabet workbook. Please note that more teaching resources (e.g. picture cards; sorting cards) are contained within the guide itself. To accompany the guide and pack, be sure to download HSC’s Home Learning Diary and a Reward Sticker Chart for your child. These are free to download upon purchase of a pack. Parents can also access the online videos to watch families using HSC packs to support their children’s learning.
The extremely useful parent guide is the unique selling point of this pack. Finally everything a parent needs to know about how and what children learn in school is explained clearly and simply.
Useful parent know-how contained within the guide includes:
- The curriculum – what your child needs to know and be able to do
- Top parent-child interaction and teaching tips (including the power of using positive and specific feedback while learning)
- Exactly how to teach pre-reading and early alphabet skills at home in a fun multi-sensory way – All seven key home reading activities are explained step by step (including sound discrimination, exploring rhythm and rhyme; Understanding alliteration; making voice sounds; developing awareness of phonemes within words; getting familiar with the alphabet).
- Getting the most out of reading picture books aloud to your children and developing their early listening comprehension abilities
- Monitoring your child’s home reading progress
- Motivating your child to learn, rewarding their efforts & providing specific positive feedback.
The guide is accompanied by a one sheet ‘Quick Read Summary’ so that parents wanting to get started straight away can!
This pack will more than prepare your child for more formal phonics instruction when they enter Reception (or sooner for able children).
Pack Contents: Parent Activity Guide; Soundtracks Game; Percussion Instruments; Rhyming Bingo Game; Nursery Rhymes CD; Alphabet Two Piece Puzzle; Alphabet Cards; English Made Easy Alphabet Workbook; Alphabet Cards; Write ‘n’ Wipe Alphabet Board; Wipe Pen & Wipe Pen Eraser.